Frito

When I get a dog, it’s a well thought out decision.

I research the breed.  I research the breeders.  I research the parents, pedigree and puppy.  I do informal puppy testing and track the litter from birth.  It’s normally a multi year process.

This weekend I flew to a seminar in Texas and I came home with a puppy.   No, I didn’t want one.  No, I don’t know what kind of dog he is.  I know nothing about him except that he’s cute as could be, super happy and social, totally fun and looking for a home.  Instead of a multi year process this was a multi minute process.

How could I resist; he fits under the airplane seat?

Here’s what I know.  He’s been through several homes, through no fault of his own.  He’s small – maybe seven pounds at four or so months of age.  Probably a terrier/Chi mix.  He’s super happy and social and totally fun.

So I’m on my way home to deliver our new pet to the family.  Wish us luck!

Thanks to Paula Wier for fostering him until I could come along and realize he was supposed to be mine.

1. Yeah! I mixed breed and a rescued dog! Good for you!

2. What’s with this kind of teaser and no pictures? That’s just mean…

3. Sometimes you just know when you see a dog. LUCK!!! I’ve been thinking some today about all the things you can do with a little dog. He will be able to travel with you on seminar trips. You will have a small companion to keep you company at night on those journeys. Teacup agility! Nosework and tracking! Maybe even a little bitework, there are a few out there. What’s his tugging like? Oh yeah, obedience! Those little ones who do OB well are marvelous fun to watch. He looks like he has a little fur, but you can dress him up when it gets cold, manly colors and tiny boots for the CO snow when you visit there. You will have a ton of fun with him, and we will too, following your adventures. Happy for you Denise. A new puppy–the possibilities are endless.

4. Buckle up, it’s bound to be an invigorating ride. Looking ahead…Frito, OTCH? Wouldn’t surprise me. X

Sent from my iPhone

5. Charlene Schreiber

I think you are both very lucky. It will be fun for you to train a Terrier!
    I admit I am a bit prejudice….

6. pauline hosenfeld

congratulations Denise on your new partner. I have often thought that our dogs choose us rather than that we choose them. I am looking forward to hearing about your journey with your new pup – and sending my hopes and prayers for an amazing journey.

7. Can’t wait to see what becomes of Frito…that is one lucky dog….

8. Vineta....smile.....🐾🐾

Lucky Frito for getting a super family’s to live with and lucky Fenzi family getting a super dog!

9. Congratulations!

10. You are going to have so much fun. I look forward to hearing all about your journey.
    What is his/hers name?
    I am happy for you.

11. Rox Welting Merryman

Good for you , it sounds like a heart decision and I’m sure you will find him a delight and him you as well . I’ll be anxious to keep up with his life !

12. What fun! My first obedience dog, Devlin (still with me), was a “private adoption” after he strayed onto someone’s farm. She only liked big dogs, so the little rat terrier and I both lucked out! So far he’s earned 38 titles and championships, and is still the best decision I made that year. He has taught me a phenomenal amount about dogs, training, showing, patience, and more things than I can articulate. Enjoy!

13. It happens all the time!! I met a rescue dog and ended up adopting her, also!! She’s only 14″ tall, orange brindled, maybe a mini-aussie, or a Pyrenean mix………..who knows. But she’s full of life, a joy to train and I totally understand that instant Karma that occurs when we stumble upon a rescue!! Enjoy Denise!!

Nancy

14. Frito is super cute and I know you will enjoy working with him! Thanks for the great seminar this weekend. I enjoyed it!

15. Hi! Welcome to the small-dog-fits-under-the-seat club! I never thought I would want a small dog, until that was my only option: my husband is allergic to dogs, and small poodles seem to be what works for us! They can go just about everywhere with us, including into restaurants in their airline carrying bag!

It will be fun to hear about any differences in training that you discover. Thanks for sharing your news.

Susan F., Vancouver, WA

On Sun, Oct 20, 2013 at 5:40 PM, Denise Fenzi

16. Small dogs are fun! Good on you. This may be a life-changing experience.

17. Wonderful!! Where are the photos?? Can’t wait to hear the adventures of Frito and Denise!

18. That is one lucky puppy!
    I stick by my advice: bamboo backscratcher.

19. YAY if i haven’t already said it … I am sure little Yen- who arrived much the same way – inspired you 😀