We Won!

Deb Jones and I wrote a book.  It’s called “Dog Sports Skills: Developing Engagement and Relationship”.  So far so good, as I think most of you knew that already.  Indeed, many of you have probably read the book!  If not, you can buy a copy here:  http://www.thedogathlete.com/collections/books/products/dog-sport-skills-book-1-developing-engagement-and-relationship

But did you know that we were nominated for Book of the Year For Behavior and Training by the Dog Writers  Association of America?  Yep, it’s true!  And we were quite excited about that honor!

But wait, there’s more!!!

It appears that we actually won the category.  So…(big smile here)….our book, our very first one together, won a big big prize!  And we are very excited about that fact on many levels, not the least of which is what is says about the changing perspective on what is important in training.  This win is a strong acknowledgment that there is much more to training a dog than mastering specific behaviors.  Developing an understanding of your dog is crucial, which was pretty much the point of the entire book

So, this blog is for three things today.  First, this is a fine chance to brag. Second, this is a time to marvel at the reality that change is truly underfoot and appears to be snowballing.  And finally, we’d like to say “thank you so much!” to each of you who support progressive dog training!

And on a personal note, I’d also like to thank each of you who choose to support me as a human being.  I am more than a dog trainer. I am a person who has feelings, goals outside of competition, and more general life interests that make up much of my life.  There are a few individuals who spend an inordinate amount of energy looking to find fault with my choices, so the fact that 95% of my interactions with people are positive and supportive goes very far to offset the darker or less versatile personalities that also exist in the dog world.  I really appreciate each of you; it makes all the difference when someone tells me that I have helped them in some fundamental way with whatever goals they wished to achieve.  That positive feedback fuels my love for work, dog sports, and a progressive future.

1. If there were a “Like” button, I’d click it! 🙂 So happy for you!

2. Big Congratulations , well done I adore your book, your blogs, your course –

3. Well done, congratulations, and most of all thank you – I’m on my second reading of the book and finding things I missed the first time around. Definitely worth more than one read!

4. Pauline Hosenfeld

congratulations on the well deserved award – now get to work on book two! 🙂

5. Congratulation to you Denise and Deb! I have the book, actually read the book and will be a Fenzi follower for life! Big smiles to you.

6. Congratulations!! Indeed it is a very big win! The book is wonderful too!

7. Hi Denise, Don’t be discouraged by the dark people, maybe someday their eyes will open and see the light!! I had the pleasure of attending a seminar two years ago when you came to NY. You were warm and funny and generous of your time. Your upbeat attitude was contagious! I was a student and friend of the late Patty Ruzzo…now she was as upbeat and positive as you could get! 15-20 years ago she was one of the first to say throw away your prongs and grab some treats, and boy did she have a lot of naysayers. But she persevered, and things got a lot better for obedience dogs. People like you keep her dream alive, she would have liked you a lot.

8. Congratulations Denise. That’s awesome. I haven’t read your book yet, but I love reading your blogs. Try not to let the negative people affect you – they’re simply not worth it.

9. So well deserved. I can’t even express to you how much we appreciate your patience and wisdom. Can’t wait for book 2.

10. so fabulous 😀 so happy for you

11. miles1214@cox.net

Denise, CONGRATULATIONS, THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I follow every blog post and video of your excellent training methods and it is just a pure joy to watch how you interact with your dogs and how happily they learn. I get a ton of information from you to take to my doggies, and we try and practice happily “ever after.” LOL

Margrit

12. Denise, you and your school and your instructors and your writings and your book with Deb Jones have had a tremendous impact on my transition into dog sports (up to now everything I’ve done has been “pet manners” related). I found you and your Fenzi Academy providentially late one night while searching the net, believing that someone out there just *had* to be using strictly positive methods for IPO. Your Academy has been a lifeline! I am absolutely thrilled to learn that your and Deb’s book won at DWAA. Thank you, Denise, for your outstanding work and for bringing us such an incredible lineup of expert instructors and courses through your Academy. You ARE making a *huge* difference!